Edward R. Hills (1906)
313 Forest Avenue

This house was originally on the lot north of where it stands now, and was moved in 1906 to be the foundation of a house for the daughter, Mary, of William Gray. Her husband was Edwards Hills, an attorney. Gray commissioned Wright to remodel it - and remodel he did. Essentially nothing remains of the original house fromin 1874.

View looking west from Forest Avenue
First, the original house was rotated ninety degrees, so that it faces north (or right in the photo.) The exterior walls were covered with stucco, subdivided by rough boards stained dark brown. The windows were organized into horizontal bands. The roofs were redone with soffits that projected beyond the walls, and with double slopes and high pitches recalling his designs from the mid 1890's.
This house was severely damaged by fire while being restored in 1976. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas DeCaro undersaw its extensive reconstruction in 1977, including the restoration of features lost over the years through remodeling. For this reason, this is often called the "Hills-DeCaro House".

The above commentary was excerpted from Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright & Prarire School Architecture in Oak Park by Paul E. Sprague (published 1986). The Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust Book Catalog offers a selection of guidebooks which can be ordered online.

http://www.oprf.com/flw/Hills.html --
Copyright © 1996-2001 Steven Hurder, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED